The medical term for a different heart is a congenital heart defect(s) also called CHD.
This means that a baby is born with heart that looks and often works differently. Some hearts have holes, some have their wires crossed (the arteries and veins may be swapped around) some are too big, some are too small, some have missing parts and some have leaky vales… but every different heart we have met is courageous, hopeful and determined.
How serious is CHD?
Today and every single other day:
– 25 – 30 babies with different hearts are born in South Africa.
– 12 of these babies will be diagnosed and will be offered access to medical care.
– 8 will die or be disabled as a result of their CHD.
What are we doing to help?
- We have support structures for the families of diagnosed children.
- We have support structures for the families whose children have died or who are disabled as a result of CHD.
- We provide information to decrease the number of undiagnosed cases and hopefully reduce the number of deaths.what are we doing to help?